Wednesday 11 January 2012

What I Thought ...

When I first started reading Crow Lake I was captured immediately. I was intrigued at a very early point of the book, which encouraged me to continue reading it. At the beginning of the novel, Kate was a seven year old girl telling a story of the catastrophe that happened, the seriousness of the situation made me feign for more. I was captured by Kate Morrison's story, and I wanted to know exactly what was going to happen to her next. The past intertwines with the future, what Kate is telling in the beginning has an influence on her future, without her even realizing it.

Mary Lawson emphasizes on the importance of family after the tragedy that happened to the Morrison children, when they were left orphaned when they were all under the age of twenty. I felt as if i should be sympathetic toward Kate, she was a seven year old girl with no care in the world, faced with the biggest obstacle of her life, losing your parents. At a young age you look up to your parents, I know I did. Without them there supporting you, would be the hardest way to grow up. I feel as if parents keep children sane, and make sure everything will be okay and when four children are left with no support group, anything can go wrong.

The family had many arguments throughout this experience, but in the end that only made them stronger. Even though Kate leaves and avoids Crow Lake for twelve years, when she comes back to Crow Lake, the family holds no grudge – it is as if she had never left.

No comments:

Post a Comment